Tuesday 24 March 2015

Tweety Sweety!

Hello everyone, welcome to my blog, and thank you for visiting.  I truly appreciate that you've taken time to drop by.

Another kinetic project today.  I've been fascinated by the double pull-out slider mechanism ever since i first came across it - it was a "How do they DO that?" moment, I just couldn't work out how it was done.  


Fortunately for my sanity, I saw it demonstrated on TV and it was EASY!  This is a variation on the basic method so that, when the tab is pulled, a small drawer delivers a sweet treat.



I won't go into measurements in detail because, if you're going to be making one of these, you'll want to size it to fit your little gift.  To calculate the size of paper you'll need, there's a great resource at www.thecraftyowl.co.uk/boxbuster.  Just a couple of points to remember - 

The sleeve needs to be a little bit bigger that the drawer so that it can move freely.  I added 1/8 inch to the width & height, so if your drawer - like mine - was 4 1/2" by 2 1/2 " by 1/2" you would need card 4 1/2 by 6 3/4 (2 1/2 + 1/8" + 1/2" +1/8" +2 1/2" +1/8" + 1/2" +1/8" + 1/4" for the overlap) and score at 2 5/8, 3 1/4, 5 7/8,  and 6 1/2.

Lay everything out and do a dummy run  on some scrap card before you try this with your good card - it's amazingly easy to get things upside-down and back to front!  Guess why I say that?  

I hope you like it - please let me know if you make one of these, and I'd love you to share  pictures of your projects on my Facebook page (the link is over to the right).

See you soon!  

xxx Keren

1 comment:

  1. Keren I have seen these slider cards before but never done one. Having the drawer is a great idea. That would fit a gift card in perhaps?? Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.